A lot of my students ask me for tips on ways they can improve their English outside the classroom.
Here are a few that Ilike to pass along.
- Listen to songs in English and try to identify and understand the words and the meaning.
- Watch TV series, movies and the news. Use English subtitles if you need.
- Watch TED Talks or other lectures on YouTube. You can control the speed if the speaker is talking too fast.
- Record yourself and listen to it. This is great if you are recording something and have the original source audio – then you can compare yours with the original.
- Exchange text messages with other students and friends. This is a great way to help each other.
- Change the operating system of your phone, TV, Cable TV, PC, laptop to English. This will help you a lot.
- Read as much as you can in English – books, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Keep a notebook with you to write down any new words or things you don’t understand.
If you have any questions or doubts, please ask in the comments or send me a private message.