GRAMMAR – MIGRATE vs EMIGRATE vs IMMIGRATE
MIGRATE means to MOVE from one place to go and live in another.
- Many Easterners migrated west during the California gold rush.
- Many New Yorkers migrate to Florida for the winter.
EMIGRATE means to LEAVE one’s home country to go and live in another.
- My grandparents emigrated from Italy.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger emigrated from Austria.
IMMIGRATE means to COME into another country to live permanently.
- My grandparents immigrated to the United States in the 1920s.
- Albert Einstein immigrated to the United States in 1933.