This is a placement test. It’s not graded. It is used to determine at what level a new student should start . Each question is prepared to test the student’s knowledge in a particular area.
1. What _____________________ right now? Are you busy?
a. do you do
b. you can do
c. did you do
d. are you doing
2. ______________________ bread do we have at home?
a. Is there any
b. How much
c. How many
d. Are there any
3. Marie has two brothers. _____________ names are Mark and John.
4. How often __________________ go to the beach?
a. are you
b. would you like
c. do you like
d. do you
5. What time ______________________ dinner?
a. did Derek have
b. Derek had
c. does Derek had
d. is Derek have
6. Mom: Where are you off to?
a. I think I’ll start with the shrimp
b. I’m sorry; I’m not from around here
c. I’m on my way to the gym
d. I’ll take the blazer
7. Mom: Honey, could you please close the window?
a. Not at all
b. No, I don’t
c. No problem
d. Not much
8. John and Carl are brothers. John’s wife is Carl’s ___________________________.
9. Rose has ______________ seen that movie.
10. Anthony __________________ in London ___________________2001.
a. has lived / since
b. lived / for
c. has lived / for
d. lives / since
11. You ____________________ make a reservation soon. That restaurant is very popular.
a. would rather
b. used to
d. had better
12. Luckily, I _____________________ a seat belt when I had the accident.
b. was wearing
c. have worn
d. had better wear
13. Susan: You look a little blue. Is something wrong?
a. I don’t care for it
b. Nothing. It’s on me
c. Nothing I can put my finger on
d. It doesn’t matter to me
14. I ___________________________ meat, but now I’m a vegetarian.
a. am used to eat
b. am used to eating
c. was used to eat
d. used to eat
15. We can go to a movie instead of _____________________ TV.
c. to watch
16. That photograph _____________________ by Henri Cartier-Bresson in 1954.
b. was taking
c. has taken
d. was taken
17. Is this car _________________ ?
18. John: How many siblings do you have?
a. Two uncles and an aunt
b. A son
c. Just a brother
d. My stepfather
19. I’m always on time, _________________ I ?
20. I ________________________ the movie when it ___________________ out on DVD.
a. already saw / came
b. have seen / came
c. will see / will come
d. had already seen / came
21. My wife needs to have this dress _________________________ by Saturday.
a. to dry-clean
22. Charles __________________________ be a doctor, but he changed his mind.
b. was going to
d. could have
23. Joe ___________________________ married Amy. They would have been very happy.
a. must have
b. may have
d. should have
24. Ramadan is a religious tradition _________________ by Muslims all over the world.
a. who is observed
b. is observed
c. to observe
d. that is observed
25. A(n) ____________________ happens when there is no rain for a long period of time.
26. I wonder ________________________ .
a. how the book ends
b. how does the book end
c. how ends the book
d. the book ends
27. We _______________________ lost if we had called in advance.
a. wouldn´t get
b. hadn´t gotten
c. didn´t get
d. wouldn´t have gotten
28. Our friends encouraged ____________________ early.
a. to arrive
b. we arrive
c. us to arrive
d. us arriving
29. ___________________ hard to find in the newspaper these days.
a. Good news is
b. A good news is
c. Good news are
d. The good news are
30. Salesperson: _________________
Shopper: No, I’m just browsing.
a. Looking for anything special?
b. Is anything bothering you today?
c. Do you mind if I borrow it when you’re done?
d. Are you reading anything good these days?
31. Sometimes when I’m on the go, I forget ____________________ time for my family.
b. to make
c. to have made
32. The older people are when they marry, __________________ children they have.
c. the fewer
d. the fewest
33. I requested that he _______________________ early.
d. would arrive
34. Husband: I’m at my wits’ end!
a. What’s stopping you?
b. Are you sure?
c. Do you think so?
d. What’s the matter?
35. He doesn’t have enough experience._____________, he would have gotten the job.
36. I’m going for a walk. I need to _________________________.
a. lose my temper
b. say what’s on my mind
c. let off steam
d. make an issue out of it
37. Not only_______________________ finish the report, but he didn’t come to work today either.
a. he didn’t
b. did he not
c. did he
d. he did not
38. ______________________________ so busy, we could have shopped around.
a. If we wouldn’t have been
b. That we hadn’t been
c. Had we not been
d. If we might not have been
39. Dave: ____________________________________
Dave’s friend: Actually, it kind of bothers me. I hope that’s not a problem.
a. Do you mind my smoking?
b. Would you ever consider getting a pet?
c. Can you believe that outfit?
d. Are you familiar with this CD?
40. By this time next year, my father _______________________________________.
a. will retire
b. had retired
c. is retiring
d. will have retired